I hear so much whining about student loans. There are only two ways to go into debt for school:
If someone took out loans in your name without your permission, you’re a victim of fraud and need to deal with that through the legal system.
Otherwise, you signed up voluntarily. Even if you went to a predatory school that lied about some future guaranteed success. You borrowed money to buy a bad product. Learn from that.
We don’t have a student loan crisis. We have a personal responsibility crisis.
When I graduated, I owed more than my HOUSEHOLD income. Not just my income, but my wife’s too. The minimum payment was bigger than our rent! Two and a half years later? We’re within a few months of being completely debt free.
We paid every penny.
Magic: we lived on less than we made. You can too. You might not like what that means for your standard of living, but don’t mistake your preferences for an inability to make your payment. You are not a victim. You have power in your life. Excercise that power and earn the life you dream of!!
A list of things you should know:
- I haven’t purchased new shoes since 2011 (other than my rock climbing shoes which I saved up for)
- The newest tablets in our house are yellow and have lines printed on them. We do have an iPad 2 that I won in a raffle…
- The most reliable computer we own is a $35 Rasperry Pi.
- My wife, son, and I eat on $600/month. That includes any restaurants (lol), diapers and formula.
- If we can’t drive to it and sleep in a tent, we don’t travel there.
- We cook our own food on a portable stove when we travel.
- I brew my own coffee (the horror!!). It costs me less for two weeks than a single cup from the ‘Bucks.
- My family car (that’s right, we have ONE), was manufactured in 2005.
… the list goes on.
Even with these “radical” lifestyle decisions, we weren’t making enough progress.
So I took on extra PAID work. That’s the best place to go when you need money, to work! My current load is 1.5 times my colleagues’. Yep, I’m working half of a second full-time teaching job.
The point? You can do this too. You can do this too. You. Can. Do. This. Too.
It’s not easy. It’s not always fun. But you can do it.